Parma, 4 January 2020 – It was built in the 1920s and, having undergone several renovations, remains Atalanta’s home today: ahead of tomorrow’s match against the Nerazzurri, we look back at the history of the Gewiss Stadium.

The stadium began to be built in 1927 on the Borgo Santa Caterina racecourse site. It was initially named after Matio Brumana and included a football pitch with an athletics track around it. The first fixture played at La Dea’s home was Atalanta’s home match against Triestina on 1 November 1928.

Following the Second World War, the stadium was known as “Comunale”, and it continued to be called this until 1994. In 1949, it underwent important restructuring work, resulting in the Curva Sud being built. In the 1980s, the athletics track was removed, with new seats being added. In 1994, the stadium’s name changed: it became the Atleti Azzurri d’Italia.

The last of a series of major renovations came in 2015 with the complete restyling of the tribuna central and a number of seats being added closer to the pitch. All this work led to the stadium’s capacity being reduced to approximately 21,000.

In April 2017, the Comune di Bergamo called for tenders to purchase the stadium, with Atalanta officially gaining ownership of the stadium through this. Halfway through 2019, the stadium underwent more works, which saw the construction of a new stand for home fans in a very short period of time. From 1 July 2019, the stadium was renamed as the Gewiss Stadium.